Monday 31 May 2010

GARDEN IS ALIVE WITH CHICKS

The spring heat is finally bringing the garden into full bloom. The fruit and veg seeds are showing signs of growing and the various chicks in and around the garden are gradually leaving their nests.

The robin chicks fledged about a month ago now, but the great tits are due to fledge any day now. I can hear them from inside the house now, every time they are fed.

The blackbird family are in a bush next door and the recent wet weather has helped the parents pick up mouthfuls of worms for the chicks to gorge on.

After being usurped by the great tits after two years in the birds' 'favourite' nestbox in my garden, the blue tits have taken up residence in my other next door neighbours' house. They nested in a hole vacated by the removal of a drainage pipe from the bathroom.

It's a brilliant place to nest and I think they'll be back there next year. Luckily both my neighbours are good with wildlife and like the birds being around.

Yesterday while out my bike on Frodsham Marshes I heard the first cuckoo of the year and also saw the fantastic aerobatic skills of a hobby as it swooped, glided and move like a jet fighter during combat over the fields, tress and banks.

As I live on the edge of the marsh it's great to know these two rare birds are living near me. As I put my bike in the garage a sparrowhawk swooped low over me, obviously hoping to catch a small bird by surprise in the nearby fields.

This morning one of the local goldfinch parents brought a youngster to feed in my garden. It was a brief visit but another reason to love where I live.

The tree sparrows are a constant visitor along with the woodpigeons who are nesting in a tree opposite my house.

Our resident cock pheasant is also heard at least once a day and has regularly been seen with at least one female.

With greenfinches, dunnocks and pied wagtails among the other birds seen daily, the dawn chorus is a wonderful alarm call every day.

The tadpoles are growing bigger in my little pond. I've left them alone but will be taking a closer look in the next couple of weeks to see if any are growing legs.

Finally my partner Sarah has organised the window boxes and hanging baskets along with bulb planting in on of the borders. With the honeysuckle flowering the garden is looking lovely.

Pics will be up shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment